If you’re looking for something lighter for lunch or snack, this is a great choice. It’s by far the best lentil salad ever. A combination of lentils with feta cheese and baked beetroot makes it perfect 😉🥗.
If you do not want to risk a bloated belly 🎈, soak the lentils in water for 1-2 days before cooking. Don’t forget to change the water at least once a day.
- 3 cups of cooked lentils
- 1 bigger beetroot
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 – 3 stalks of celery
- 2 bay leafs
- 120 g Feta cheese
- salt, pepper
- olive oil
- 2 – 3 tbsp Balsamico
- First of all, peel the beetroot and cut it into small cubes. Put it on a tin foil, mix with a pinch of salt and pepper, add a little bit of olive oil, and wrap it like a package. Place the package in the oven and bake at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes until soft.
- In the meantime, simmer the lentils on a low-medium heat for about 20 minutes together with bay leaf and a pinch of salt until tender, but not mushy. Do not forget to skim and throw away the foam during cooking (foam is rich in saponins).
- Chop the onion, the carrot, and the celery and fry shortly in a pan so the vegetables remain tender. Salt slightly.
- Finely chop the cheese and set aside.
- Drain the lentils of any excess water and add them to a bigger salad bowl to let them cool while you prepare the remainder of the salad.
- Take the baked beetroot out of the oven and let it cool down a bit.
- Whisk together olive oil, pepper, and balsamico and set aside.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients (roasted veggie, the beetroot, and the cheese) to the cooled lentils along with the dressing.
- Gently stir everything together until combined. Add salt or pepper if need and serve.