Do you find a combination of poppy, curd cheese, and blueberries, odd? Don’t worry about it at all! It’s a delicacy 😊. This cake not only looks good but also tastes good. Years ago, I used to buy a similar cake in the center of Prague. I liked it so much that I tried to make my own version, which I will share with you today. Hope you will like it too! 🤗
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g butter
- pinch of salt
- 50 ml of cold water
- 300 g ground poppy seeds
- 450 ml of milk
- cane sugar according to your taste
- 500 g curd or cream cheese
- lemon peel
- In a larger bowl, mix the flour with the chopped butter into smaller pieces. Process into a crumb mold and then add cold water and knead the dough. Put it in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the poppy seed mixture. In a small saucepan, cook the poppy seeds with milk and sugar over low heat until all the milk will evaporate.
- Take off the saucepan and let the mixture cool down.
- For the curd mixture, all you have to do is to mix the curd with sugar and lemon zest.
- Roll out the dough into a round mold with a diameter (24-26 cm). Move to the mold and pierce the bottom with a fork. Keep the remaining dough. You’re gonna use it as a last layer of the cake.
- Start with the first layer of cake. Spread the poppy neatly over the entire surface of the cake.
- Then carefully spread the curd layer and cover with blueberries (if you have sour blueberries, I recommend mixing them with a bit of sugar).
- Cut out the strips of the remaining dough and cover the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake at 180°C for 45 minutes. After baking, let it cool.